History:
In 1899, Mozafar-al-Din Shah, the crown prince of Gajar Dynasty had been involved with tuberculosis and French physicians advised him to spend a period for his treatment in a place with fresh mountain air. Mirza Ali Asghar Khan Amin-al-Soltan, the Prime Minister, found a perfect place with pleasant weather in the northern mountains of Tehran and decided to build a mansion for this purpose. After Mozafar-al-Din Shah’s death, this mansion was gradually converted into a sanitarium for TB patients. Several buildings were added to the building to serve TB patients referred to this center from all over the country. After the change of government, these pieces of land along with the mansion inside were abandoned until Dr. Masih Daneshvari with his utmost attempt was allowed to establish a nursing school in it.
Then, Several buildings have been added to the complex by the Health Ministry of the time and some NGO organizations. In 1986 this hospital became a sub division of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical sciences and the hospital served as a center for Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases.
In 1992, the research institute was established and merged with the hospital entitled "National Research Institute of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Masih Daneshvari Hospital”.
The National Research Institute of Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases (NRITLD), Masih Daneshvari Hospital, is determined to gain international fame as an active prosperous center in providing medical services in the field of tuberculosis and lung diseases.